Wednesday 25 June 2008

The Truth about me, ...schlaaaaand and the tifoso

I have to make this statement in case paparazzi pictures of me dancing on the table wearing the original DFB (German Soccer Association) Shirt will go around the globe tomorrow: I couldn't care less about soccer! The shirt I have won as a surprise present for winning the boats race of the G+J Future Management Programm which in itself is a small wonder: I was always amongst the last loosers to be chosen for any sports team and proud of it. And I honestly didn't know the European Soccer Championship was around the corner. I could choose between Klose and Schweinsteiger and choose the one I know at least the face of. Then people told me that he wasn't to play... But: Everything is different when you're away from home! I was quite surprised by the reality of the Italian tifosi. I always imagined Italians to be crazy about soccer and that the time of the EC would be a period of holiday. But thinking so is lacking insight in the average Italian soul. It is true that they go crazy when their team wins. They drove up and down the street and honked for three hours when the Squadra Azzura won the one time in this tournament. They are good winners. But they are lousy loosers, too! When in the game against Spain they were doing them shoots, I don't know how they're called, I heared two collective cheers from the neighbours but the four groans that I would have heared in Germany never came. And now the tournament is over. Who wins isn't important if it isn't me. This is why for once I am teaming up with German soccer: to live the Italian in me but on the winner's side! If they loose, I will just quietly stuff the shirt back into my handbag and cycle home.

No comments: